Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A minute is a long time WWS#2

Wow!!!, what a day out,

Probably one of the nicest trails I’ve ever ridden, lost of twisty turny single-track with a short climb thrown in for good measure.
Approx 440 teams turned up for this one, and while talking to people setting up they were saying this was a flat track, so I decided to see how long I could keep it in the big ring.

I had to keep my eye on Spoonboy in this one as I was hungry for the win, and I need the points after a disappointing 1st round.
So the typical start with everyone racing up the fire-road I had somehow managed to get to the not so pointy section of the field.

Just as we get to the first bit of fire trail I just miss out on getting into the singletrack up front, so the first 2km was spent sitting behind a slower rider holding up approx 20 of us who wanted to pass. He kindly pulled over when he had a chance and let us through. It was to be a little like this for the whole race as there is very little passing room on this course.
Up in the distance I could see 2 soloists one of the being spoonboy, I try to catch them but some of the newer riders slowed me down just that little bit
after 4 laps I am finally behind them and there is a big fire road section coming up which is full of people.

Slowly and quietly, I creep up behind them, put the hammer down and race past him and another soloist (Michael Crumb?)

Ha Ha, I laughes like a lunatic to myself quietly, I’ve got him ha ha ha….I keep the pressure on, looking behind me on the switchbacks next lap I can see he is still not that far behind me.
Hmmmm, I’d better keep the pressure down.
6 laps later I stop on the top of the hill to visit mother nature, thinking that Spoonboy is well behind.
I turn around to hop on my bike and Spoonboy in tow with Michael Crumb creep past,
I follow them to transition where I stop, Grab a fresh bottle spend what seems forever looking for my powerbars I eventually find one and hurry it down.
I see Spoonboy disappear into the distance again…….
Damn… he’s now got close to a minute on me.
Thats OK I’ve got 3 hours to catch and pass him,

"Yeah Yeah " Rob your not going to get me with you mind games I say to myself.

Next lap "He’s only 10 seconds in front " people are yelling at me

Yeah Yeah sure sure.

I put the hammer down,

What’s that up ahead?
Is it?
It cant be?
It is!!!

I get a second wind….

Up in the distance are the familiar KHS colours of Spoon boy, I slowly gain on him and ride behind him for a Km or so, pretending to be somebody else.

He looks hurt.

On one of the slower sections of single track I ask if I can pass he pulls over giving me enough track to pass, and wham i make a break pedalling as fast as possible trying to make time on my new found lead.

"Yes" I think to myself "I’ve done it" but I had better keep the pressure down,

One lap later I come back into transition and Rob says I have made 2 minutes on him,
We are at the final stages of the day, I have no idea of how much time we have left, but I’m thinking I have probably one more lap to go before they close the course for the day.
I get passed by BMC rider David Rome whom I chat to as we descend some of the fun parts and tells me this is last the lap.

OK keep my head straight don’t do anything stupid and pedal.
Up the hill for the last time and I cramp the right hand side of my body luckily there’s only 500m to go and Spoonboy is nowhere in sight.

I cross the line.
Finally I’ve done it.
By the time I put my bike down catch my breath, do some starjumps and 20 pushups,
Spoonboy crosses the line
3 minutes behind me, man what a race.
Best. Race. Ever.

1 all Spoonie.

No comments: